In the hustle and bustle of life, it’s easy to lose sight of who we truly are deep down in the core of our being. We’ve spent so many years living for others, and puttting everyone else’s needs and wants above our own, that we’ve forgotten who we are, much less what we want. For many midlife women, the process of reconnecting with our authentic self is often the catalyst that leads us to the life of purpose, fulfillment, freedom, and joy so many of us crave and deserve.
So if you’re feeling overwhelmed, dissatisfied, and unfulfilled in your life, and you find yourself yearning for something more, and want to facilitate a deeper connection with your true self, then in today’s post, I’m sharing 6 things you can do right now to help kickstart the process, so you can finally start liing the life you want.
The Journey Back to Self:
1. Reflect on Your Values & Get Clear on What You Want: Authentic living begins with self-reflection. Take a moment to identify what truly matters to you and exactly what you want your life to look like moving forward. When you have this kind of clarity, it acts as a compass guiding your decisions and actions, so that your life aligns with your values and desries.
2. Embrace Imperfection & Honor Your Uniqueness: Perfection is an unattainable ideal that often leaves us feeling inadequate and can lead to depression. Loving yourself, means loving all of yourself. Your flaws, imperfections, and unique quirks are what makes you the beautiful, one-of-a-kind, magnificent being that you are. By embracing all of you, you open the door to experience profound self-love and compassion, not only towards yourself, but towards others as well.
3. Spend More Time Doing What Feeds Your Soul: Your dreams, desires, and passions are the gateway to life satisfaction, joy, and long-term fulfillment. If there is a dream planted in you, then it is meant to be pursued. What activities or hobbies do you get lost in? Is it painting, dancing, writing, or gardening? Whatever it is, make sure to do it and do it often! Actually take a moment right now (go ahead, I’ll wait), and add a few of those soul-driven activities right into your calendar. Then treat them just as you would any other appointment that you make time for! You’ll find that engaging in these types of passion-based activities not only increases your overall level of fulfillment and life satisfaction, but also brings you closer to that amazing woman you are truly meant to be.
4. Honor yourself & Set Healthy Boundaries: Knowing what you want in life, from life, and from people in your life, allows you to stop giving so much of yourself away to others, so you can spend more time focusing on the things that really matter to you. Setting and enforcing healthy boundaries protects your time, energy, and overall sense of well-being, and is necessary for a balanced life. Setting boundaries also means valuing yourself enough to make choices that honor your needs, even when they’re tough. In doing so, you create space to attract things that are in alignment with your desires.
5. Connect with & Learn to Listen to Your Inner Guidance: Whether you call it intuition, higher self, divine source, God, or a gut feeling, you have a powerful internal guidance system that knows what is best for you, and can lead you into making the best and most aligned decisions for yourself and your life. However, in the static noise of daily life, it can be easy to ignore this subtle voice, and follow other people’s desires, values, beliefs, and opinions about what actions we should take for ourselves. They might know what’s right for them, but YOU are the ONLY person who knows what’s right for you. So, start developing a practice of mindfulness and listen closely to what your inner wisdom has to say, and learn to trust that this inner knowing will lead you to make choices aligned with your desired path.
6. Savor Small Moments & Experiences: Life’s true treasures often come in small, everyday moments — the sound of falling rain on a tin roof, your child’s laughter, the warmth of a cup of freshly brewed tea, and your cat curled up in your lap purring away. These moments are the things that feed our soul and bring us true joy. It’s important to take the time to take these moments in and just be present in the moment. Observing these small blessings, helps ensure that we don’t let life pass us by.
Your authentic self is waiting to be discovered, embraced, and celebrated. Remember, the beauty of authentic living lies not in perfection, but in the imperfect, glorious messiness that is life. The challenge is whether you are willing to embrace who you are so you can create a life you love that loves you back.